random-code Day 2 - Building

permalink

I got inspired by Zac Hatfield-Dodds's blog post Sufficiently Advanced Testing to pursue the challenge of construction random programs. To get the intro of what I've worked on so far check out the Day 1 post

Progress

When I left off yesterday, I had a simple code and corpus example working, but I need to take further steps to get it working on real code.

Name Discovery

In order to figure out which names are in scope and which names we need to match, we need to inspect the underlying tree. For example, if the new code swapped in references self.clear(), we want do break it down and identify that we want to check the scope for self.

  • Later we can do some type checking that will help us known if self has a callable member clear

For this example, self.clear() starts out as the AST node Call. Under it, we have an Attribute .func. This has the two elements of interest:

  • attr clear
  • value, which is a Name with id self

In order to solve this, we can recursively search an AST for names that we need to check in scope. This is done by the nested_unpack method. (It's not the cleanest, but...) The general pattern is for each type to either identify if:

  • There's no possible names we'd need to check (e.g. for a Constant)
  • There's one possible name (e.g. for a Name where we want it's id)
  • There's multiple possible subelements that could have names

To combine these together, each function retuns the list, and elements that contain multiple sub-elements flatten the list from their sub-elements and call the recursion. This rolls up to a list at the top level of 0 or more names to check and pretty elegantly fits into the scope checking code.

Scoping

Each each element, we know if we've defined more names (e.g. for an Assign) or gotten into a new scope (e.g. for a FunctionDef) and new names (e.g. arguments in a FunctionDef).

This isn't something I've found a good general pattern for and haven't yet gotten to all the sources of names and scopes, so the code is sticking to hard code in the visiting logic _visit_X for function arguments.

Validating Swaps in the AST

Together, we can use the name discovery and scoping to aid in doing a better job than randomly swapping by AST type. For each potential swap we're checking, we can make sure that the names we're swapping in are going to be in scope when they're used. This shakes out as the basic end conditions for valid_swap.

This swap validation feels like it could be done more recursively like the name discovery, but I haven't figured out that pattern yet.

Special Case: Typing

When it comes to swapping out names, I've implemented a primative type matching system. When I find cases where I know the type (e.g. from Python type annotations), I store the variable's type as the value in the key-value mapping in the scope (with the name as the key). This allows for swapping exact type matches, but there's no sense of classes and sub-classes without doing a little bit more.

(I think the little bit more would be tracking class definitions and parent classes in an auxiliary tree)

Special Case: Function Calls

This feels like it might not need to be a special case, but for now it is to handle making sure that the position and keyword arguments that go into the function call are all checked. This special case does have some weird edge case behavior. For example, calling "a b c".split(" ") doesn't have a name to validate even though my intuition is that usually we'd expect to have at least one name to validate.

References: